Friday, January 27, 2006

Not as tough as I thought

Since work isn't that busy I decided to be proactive with my time and increase my professional standing. I have been looking into getting my GIS (geographic information systems) graduate certificate from PSU. It is kind of like any other certificate that says I took these classes at a graduate level and can do this type of work. So anyway, work will reimburse tuition and I have already completed 11 or the 20 credits needed to fulfill requirements so I thought I couldn't pass up the opportunity. So I signed up for a night class that was already in the 3rd week of the quarter and have been playing catch-up since.

I didn't realize how hard it would be to put in my 40 hours at work and then twice a week driving into Portland and then sit through class and lab. When I got home last night at around 8:30 I hit the hottub and went right to bed. If it wasn't for the free tuition there would be no way I would want to continue this. I am feeling mostly back to normal again this morning but am looking forward to my weekend. The funny thing is I didn't think that this would be a problem for me at all. I don't know how you people with kids do it. So to all you busy people out there, I'm feeling you.

2 comments:

soggy pete said...

Glad to hear you're futhering your mind. I suggest, The Color Purple, The Kite Runner, The DaVincci Code and This Much I Know is True for anyone wanting great books...literary and engaging.

I'm buying a hottub! Good thing we're getting $7k back in taxes since we picked out a top of the line Hotsprings model 450 gallons. It's so cool, and steamy and has lights and the motomassage and a lounge and my cement ( looks more like stone) is going to be poured sometime in February and my lawn torn up and removed and river rocks and new soil will curve the edges with beatiful shrubs and plants. Eventually we'll have a pergola with hanging plants until the vines sweep over it.

Checklist: Query Letter; aka. The audition, the one chance, so don't screw up, be professional, and impress us beyond the other 22 query letters we've recieved this week. CHECK!
Synospis: 3-5 pages, double spaced and indented "narrative with feeling" which must chronologically sum up major characters motivations, internal and external conflict, plot scenes tastefully intertwined, and a conclusion that satisfies, oh and don't bore them along the way.

Yeah,rough draft check.

dFirst 30-60 pages meticulously combed for grammar, spelling, and anything that might make them want to put the book down. 90% check.

So that's where I'm at, and my kids let the cat in, a cat with dirty paws that walked across my freshly mopped floors. Sherbert has a meandering sort of gait, so he managed to print quite a trail.

soggy pete said...

Make that impress us beyond the other 200 query letters we've received this week.