Wednesday, January 25, 2006

word for the day-ab initio

So I thought I would look at a word a day, and try to expand my limited vocabulary. I always hear a word mentioned on the radio, or see one in reading that I don't recognize, and I thought I'd put one out here for people to think about. Anybody who is interested in the same can comment with the word in a sentence. Maybe we can try to incorporate previous words to keep them fresh in the mind.

ab initio (abineesheeo.) adv. - From the beginning.

For my word for the day, I read the dictionary ab initio.

4 comments:

grudd said...

You didn't use it in a sentence. And yes, I'll try to limit words to things we might use, excluding duh parts of duh ships (that's a language in itself), duh specific trades (medical, bizarre little bits of architecture) and duh tings of dat nachuh.

Any english word that you've never heard before will sound like a different language, eh?

The word reminds me of ad infinitum, or initial, or initiation, or initialize, all words we use in our language. Now let's start abinitio.

Meldog said...

With my great knoweldge of the "written" arts I do have to correct my husband slightly. It is actually a phrase "ab initio", not a single word and it is of latin origin.

Ab initio I knew my husband had a creative mind. (Does that work?)

grudd said...

you are right. ab initio. Did you know the phrase ab initio?

Anonymous said...

Let's consider this situation ab initio--you are all a little odd.