Well, I really mean it this time. I am finished cooking. It is a job I really don't enjoy and don't do all that well. And it is a big waste of time. You slave away for most of an hour then poof, the food is gone in 10 minutes. So on Sunday I decided the heck with it. We don't have enough money to eat out every night but we can get takeout for a reasonable price. So I hit the Chinese resturant and got a family style meal for 2 to go ($35). Then I hit Safeway up for 3 foot long sandwhiches ($24). That was Sunday and it is now Wednesday night. We have finished 85% of the Chinese and only 1/3 or 1/2 of the sandwhiches. I think by the end of tomorrow (my limit to how long I will keep the food) we will have eaten all of the food. That just leaves Friday, but we have a decent take out burrito spot ($8) in Stevenson to take care of that. So from Sunday night through Friday for just $67 plus some milk and a box of cereal, so let's call it $75. Not bad. Plus there is no rea cleanup. $75x4=$300/month plus Saturday and Sunday till lunch. The chickens give us weekend breakfast and I get free bread at Jujutsu class. So I can spend $300 a month and not cook but a couple of eggs. I am really on to something. The only addition I think I need is a casserole of some sort to cook on Thursdays for some variety. Costco has some nice lasagnas and pot pies for under $15 that last us a couple days. Besides the obvious lack of vegetables it's briliant.
-Melanie
Wednesday, December 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Who spends an hour cooking dinner? 20 minutes is my upper limit - 10 is better and 15 is average. Any meal that takes longer than that is saved for special occasions like when my family members are visiting.
Well I have to double most peoples time because of technical issues. For example if I am having bread that takes 15 minutes to bake I will put it in at say 6:00. Then I will smell it burning at 6:20 and get some more out of the freezer, defrost it in the microwave and return it to the oven for the original 15 minutes. The second time around I will set a timer, but then the rest of the food is cold. So then I have to reheat it in the microwave and finally around 7:00 I have dinner. See.
Well I think what I need to do is incorporate one day of fasting into the mix.
We're having fish for dinner tonight.
Post a Comment