Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Mom was right again

Yesterday morning I started my coordinated attack on the moss on the roof and gutter cleaning. As some of you know, I hate climbing ladders and stepping out on slippery roofs, valleys, and ridgelines. I pulled up a hose and proceeded to edge my way across the roof, by "the foot and butt drag" method and methodically squirted the moss away from the end of the shingles, row by row. After slipping several times I decided to go back down, eat a bite for a late lunch, and take two chlonanzepam tablets to quell my anxiety and make the roof work easier.
I mixed up a bucket of laundry soap and four canisters of moss-kill products in a rubbermaid container, carried it out back to the ladder on the deck leaning against the gutter and proceeded to slowly climb the ladder while pushing the heavy plastic container ahead of my head up the ladder until it reached the roofline. Then I gave a mighty shove and lifted it over the gutter and up onto the roof. Unfortunately, the bottom of the container did not "exhibit the required static friction coefficient" and so obviously enough, not enough sliding friction coefficient. The heavy container then acted as a horizontal unbalanced force on the ladder pushing the ladder (and me) away from the gutter and hence the house also. Time passes both slowly and quickly in "moments" like this. The ladder began to slide outwards in the vicinity of its "feet" and I was somewhat airborne before I, the ladder, and the herbicide/soap/container hit the deck. I knew I hit my right hand first because it hurt the worse, then my right temple, and left scratches down my left underarm. I rolled off the deck and grabbed my head and had that awful feeling you get when it just hurts too much to lie still. A construction worker from across the creek/plastic fence was asking me if I was alright and I heard my neighbor Claire calling out to me over his fence the same; and of course we always say we are "fine" when we really are not feeling very good at all. I think my "brave pills" nullified my smart parts.
Afterwards, I picked up the leg to one of our plastic chairs, a piece to the ladder, and scooped up all the soap on the deck and in the dented gutter. Then I put away the container, the ladder, recoiled the hose after turning it off when I felt I had washed the mess of the deck. Then I got mad that everything had happened so that I could not complete this job that I wanted to finish out of pride, .......... so I decided to mow the lawn to be able to at least finish one job Mom had put down on a list. It is very hard to mow with one arm and hand dangling down. Mom said that I would really hurt the next day and ........... she was right. Both of my wrists were sore, my right palm, my head and neck, both knees were bruised and when I tried to get a ball for Charlie out from under the couch my right knee swelled up in seconds with the skin hanging out from my knee like there was a small water balloon under the skin. I decided to stay pretty much off my feet today and took two Alieve to decrease anymore inflamation. My left side of my neck is starting to hurt again and so I will stop for now. Love, Dad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny that a certain (much in pain) person sees that I'm right about hurting, but ignores me telling him to stay off the roof altogether. He also did not put any ice on these wounds when they first occurred. I think he needs to enroll in a first aid class before any more products. If he cut off his arm with a chainsaw, would he apply pressure to the squirty blood or just weed go whip a little with one hand?