Saturday, March 03, 2007

Family sounds busy

I also had a great time in San Franciso with Mom. She was a trooper and my sense of direction. I have pictures of her consulting with her trusty map. We survived the cab rides and enoyed four days of awesome weather. Mom treated me to lunch at "The Top," or "The Mark," I can't remember, but the view and the chocolate decadence I had were awesome. Mom excercized two days, but I only made it to the workout room once. The hills and constant sightseeing were enough for me. We ate at some great spots, did all the touristy things, and I got a few of my "musts" at the Writer's conference. I did the open mic one night- went extremely well. We had three minutes - exactly- to read from the start of our novels. Then when the time was done, we got to hear suggestions/comments from our audience of peers. After that, the editor running the whole thing wrapped up what she thought was most important of the comments. I read Circle of Sin and got lots of laughs and and approval. The editor said she liked my "dark humor". I always thought it was just "humor". I may look at changing the title, but lots of people seem to like it. I've decided I should work with Mom on nonfiction - a how to write killer grants- because nonfiction sells like 6:1 or more compared to fiction. I also tried out the title "My supermom cape is unravelling" on an agent and he thought it was not only catchy, but a good subject/market. I hope Mom can go with me next year too. Maybe we'll have our sample chapter and outline to present to agents.

O.K. enough writing junk. I flew home and that weekend went on a snow trip with Tim and a church group. I got to ride a snowmobile and eat lots of great food. A cat had to take our things into the cabin/lodge area.

Then we got home and I had sick kids. I got sick. Recovered, then had a friend lose her son in a an auto accident. Yesterday was the funeral. I slept in and am going to make a checklist of things we have to do to get our house ready to sell. More openings...Elgin, Sweet Home, Gresham, etc. The next few weeks should be interesting. Can't wait to hear about the babies' ultrasound.

Take care,
Traci

No comments: