Thursday, April 20, 2006

Sooooo sleepy















So we have a new addition to our pets as you can see. This one wasn't planned. I was working at The Dalles Dam yesterday and the boss brings up this dead gosling that had died going through some really rough spill at the dam. He brings it into the trailer I am workin on to scare this lady in the trailer that hates birds. As he is dangling the bird by its back leg it slightly twitches and the gosling is barely alive. Being the only "local" I set up the almost dead bird in a hardhat nest and take him home with me. The poor thing can't even hold up his neck or anything, he just lays where I put him. Once I get him home I set him up in the cat carrier. About 2 hours later I hear tweeting and he is upright. A couple of hours later the bird is ready to go. I haven't got him to eat my starter chicken food yet but he has tried every crumb he could find on my floor. As you can see Ada really likes him and hasn't left his side. She has been very gentle so far but I am keeping a close eye on her.

Quark on the other hand seems close to death. He has Feline infectious anaemia (FIA) and has lost a bunch of weight. He is extremely week and cries throughout the night because he is miserable. But even in his weakened state he did try to bite the gosling's neck. I managed to make him stop before he did any damage. I still have to give him his 3 medicines this morning. Usually I am great with giving pills but it is like his mouth is so dry they just won't go down. If he gets any worse he will have to have a tube inserted for direct feeding and medicating.

Can someone remind me why we have pets?

1 comment:

grudd said...

that was rhetorical, right?