Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Slipping and sliding

I saw that my father had asked about our winter tire situation so I wanted to throw out a topic of discussion for all to comment about, so here goes:

I have been looking into tires lately and have found two options.
1- Studded tires- good on ice and packed snow, not as good on wet or slushy roads
2- Snow tires- good on snow, slush and wet roads, not as good on ice.

Considering those two situations it seems like the majority of our winter weather is actually just rain. And therefor if I got the studs I would actually be reducing my traction for most of the winter in exchange for better performance of a few icy days. Click on the title for a link to a good article from WSDOT on the subject.

So.... I am still considering my options and would listen to any comments. I am currently leaning towards the M+S snow tires. The other option is to put snow tires on my car, studs on Greyson's and see who is still alive at the end of the season.

FYI, studs have been outlawed in many northern states that have much more extreme winters then us.

2 comments:

Meldog said...

Yes, but...
you have rainy roads most of the winter, and you have reduced traction and increased stopping distance with the studs on wet roads. So for most of the winter you have actually decreased your handleing increased your chance for a wreck in exchange for better performance on a couple slick days. And I am much more likely to go really slow when it is icy out and go normal speeds when it is wet. So a wreck at the slower speed would not be as bad.

soggy pete said...

I just want some snow!!