Monday, February 28, 2005
Bigger Fence
Well, I read Mom's post. Charlie has been running across the road to many of our neighbors, followed a Golden Retriever down the block to the corner, has gone under the fence into two yards across the creek, and has started running up the hill to the chain-linked fence to bark at the two hunting dogs, and has tried repeatedly to get through the chain-link fence by the raspberry plants to play with the kids next door. Their little girl is afraid of dogs so Charlie can only stand on two paws and plead to get in. Mom has wanted me to fix this problem with a fence, but the cost for an appropriate and property enhancing fence would be really expensive and the physical layout of our yard would require and awkward partitioning of space, etc. I wanted to use our underground fence and had just replaced some components trying to solve problems started by my breaking the wire out by the apple trees in front. We decided to get Charlie an Ultra-light receiver at Coastal Farm Supply. I was worried that I might not have enough wire, but it turned out I had three 400 foot rolls. Anyway, I put wire up to the chain-link fence in back, stapled it to the fence out back, pinned it to the ground along our property line, and included the rock garden, before reattaching it at the driveway. Last night I showed Charlie the flags that Mom put in and she got three short exposures to the fence ( I really should have waited a day but was really worried that even one day might be too late given her running away behavior). This morning I took both dogs out, Katia had been exposed last night; she crossed the bridge while Charlie was investigating the creek this side by the rock garden; heard the warning and shot back. Charlie then took off towards the bridge at a full run and was rocketing towards an escape point under the fence when she hit the shock zone. There was a yelp, a turn around, and a bee line back to the house.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment